Updated: Aug 13, 2018
If you are new to Your Neighbor’s Hood welcome! And if you’ve been here since the beginning, thank you!
We just recently launched our website, and we will be blogging often and providing resources, guides and things we are learning along this journey.
In creating this podcast, I’ve learned a lot and am always trying to learn more. And one of the places, I’ve surprisingly learned the most is on Instagram. I follow women activists that are always challenging and teaching me on issues related to race and culture.
Below I am sharing the top 5 Instagram accounts I am currently loving.
1. @rachel.cargle: Rachel is an activist, writer, and lecturer. She teaches courses on the intersection of race and womenhood. If you follow her on IG you will see insta stories on topics like: toxic feminism, racism, being an ally and more. You can also find more of her work here: https://www.rachelcargle.com/
2. @shishi.rose: ShiShi is an activist and if you follow her be ready to LEARN. She is always dropping truth bombs on her followers through her posts on Insta Stories, and her IG posts. She uses her account to point out injustices happening daily in the black community and ways we can work to dismantle white supremacy. She also releases a monthly newsletter with resources that you can pay for and access here: shishirose.com
3. @glennondoyle: She is also an activist, writer, and speaker. She is a white women calling out other white women on our stuff. If you are a white woman and want to do more work start here: https://www.thecut.com/2018/04/glennon-doyle-is-coming-to-get-the-white-women.html
4. @austinchanning: If you haven’t read this woman’s book yet, I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness, get on it! She gets real in this book and shares her personal experience growing up as a black, Christian woman in white middle class America.
5. @mspackyetti: Brittany is an activist, educator, writer, and podcaster from Pod Save the People.
6. @laylasaad: She is an author, speaker, and teacher. Creator of the #meandwhitesupremacy.